The Honey Badger Returns
After more than a year away from the LSU/National/College Football world… Tyrann Mathieu.. AKA The Honey Badger showed up at the NFL combine to show that he hasn’t missed a beat as far as football conditioning and skills. Did he ever show up… Mathieu ran a 4.43 40-yard dash and wowed all NFL personnel with his on field drill work. I don’t know where the heck he plays in as a DB (island cornerback, or a nickel), but I know that he is a pure FOOTBALL PLAYER, that can make plays anywhere on the field, including special teams. Although Alabama’s Dee Milliner ran a 4.3… I think that Mathieu was the best overall defensive back in Indy on Tuesday.
ONE SHINING MOMENT
I LOVE college basketball. I’m from the great state of Kentucky, and nope, not a UK, UL or even Indiana fan. I’m a Duke Bludevil fan much to the chagrin of almost everyone in my family (and my friends who think I stink and I’m crazy). Many media experts believe that this years tournament is wide open, meaning anyone can win. When’s the last time we have heard of any “off the radar” team winning a title. Butler was as close as it came to winning one… and as a Duke fan.. those last final seconds had me nervous
Who can Win it?
I think there are a handful of teams that can cut the nets down in Atlanta in April, I just don’t think it’s as many as college hoops fans think. Remember, you have to win 6 games to get there, and you gotta have a team, that can do the following:
1. Win a game when you can’t shoot the ball well
2. Players that can come off the bench and give you a spark
3. Doing one thing Very well outside of scoring (defense, defensive pressure, 2nd chance points, etc)
4. and having more than one star on your team.
5. If you don’t have number 4, then you MUSt have at least two Really, Really good go to players.
So who qualifies for that in my opinion that can win it all?
1. Indiana- Talent, Talent, Talent. I’m taking that above all else in the tournament. They have a little bit of everything. Size on the interior (Cody Zeller) they have shooters that can extend the defense (Christian Watford, Will Sheehey) and a flat-out stud that can take over games when needed (Victor Olidipo). They play good enough defense, which equals a deep run into March and possibly much more. And yes I know they lost to Minnesota Tuesday night Gophers are a good team). I don’t care. They’re still elite.
2. Louisville- They just impose their will on teams. I know they reached #1 this season, and followed that up by losing three straight. I could care less. It’s very hard in this new college hoops world to not have a lapse in a season. It happens. This team is far better than the one that reached the Final Four a year ago. Russ Smith can go off for 30 at anytime, while Chene Behannan and Gorgui Dieng can pound the post with their scoring and defensive ability. And even when they can’t get a much-needed bucket, they can just absolutely smother you with their varying defenses. From a full court man, to a trapping 3/4 court, to a matchup zone, the Cards can easily break of a 15-0 run before a team can blink.
3. Michigan- The Wolverines are playing in the toughest league this season (Big Ten), a league that could easily have two of the four Final Four Teams in Atlanta this season. Like Louisville they have had their hiccups, but 3 of their four loses were to ranked teams within the Big Ten, along with a OT loss to Wisconsin. This team will be a force to reckon with, elite guards in Tim Hardaway Jr, and Trey Burke, along with a versatile freshman wing in Greg Robinson III, that can have a tournament run that could carry the Maize and Blue. Add a capable post in Mitch McGary, and a shooter that can shoot from the hashes (Nik Stauskas), The Wolverines can be deadly
4. Duke- And yes I’m a Duke fan, but this team can win it all… IF and a big IF Ryan Kelly can return to form and play a reasonably high level. Kelly has missed the last month due to a foot injury. The Dukies have dropped 3 games, two of them to ranked teams (Miami, NC State) and another to a team that could make the big dance as well (Maryland). They are athletic enough to be able to score from the perimeter, and Mason Plumlee is playing at a Wooden award level. Ryan Kelly will be key, If they have them, they can win it, if they don’t.. they can still head to the Final Four, but just would like to have him in the lineup if possible.
Other teams that can cut the nets down:
Arizona, Kansas, Florida
**And yes I know there are some other teams out there can you may think can win it.. Leave a comment and let me know, I’ll answer during next weeks blog post***
Top College Football Jobs in America
These are according to Athlon sports. Take a look. And nope, Alabama is not number one, or even number two…
Reality News stream of consciousness
— The Real Housewives of Atlanta is the best set of Housewives on Bravo
-The ladies of Beverly Hills an d New Jersey are tied for my second favorite.
-I have not missed an episode of Kourtney and Kim take Miami. Nor will I ever.
-I’m upset with myself for not watching this seasons The Bachelor
-The Gypsy sisters are AWESOME on TLC. Great TV.
-The Real Husbands of Hollywood. Great Stuff. Shout out to Kevin Hart.
-Shahs of Sunset great TV too, can’t wait till they return next season. Lily is my openly secret crush. My wife knows and understands.
-Swamp People. Watch it.
-Big Rich Atlanta. Watch it.
That will do it for this week… See you all next week… until then, enjoy a little Uncle Drew. I. Get. BUCKETS!